Blogging can be hard. Let’s face it we don’t always know what to write and I’m always told to write what I know… sorry reader I don’t think you would like to read about a secret world under the ocean or a forest elf battling a ferocious dragon. You are here for a better understanding of the marketing universe. I’m well versed in social media and 9 times out of 10 that’s what I’ll provide; a wealth of knowledge in the social media realm. Today, however, I’m going to try and help you get your brain gears going for writing your next blog or article.
Some of you might be able to pump out a 15 page article with no effort, but if you are like me you struggle to put thoughts and ideas down on paper. I’ve been writing since elementary school and my stories varied from thesis’ to fantasy stories, but for me it’s hard to just sit down and write. We all get writers block from time to time. It can be the worst thing when trying to finish an article or blog for next day delivery. EEKS! So what do you do? Many times I’ll take a step back from thinking about it to much, I know time is money, but racking your brain for words and getting a headache over something probably won’t come out as nice as it would if you took a break. It isn’t worth it.
I love to read and most of my inspiration comes from my favourite authors. You’d be surprised at what these guys… and girls, have to say about writing. So here are my top 10 author quotes to get you motivated; in life or in writing!
- We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.
– Ernest Hemingway
- I don’t care if a reader hates one of my stories, just as long as he finishes the book.
– Roald Dahl
- I do not over-intellectualize the production process. I try to keep it simple: Tell the damned story.
– Tom Clancy
- People say, ‘What advice do you have for people who want to be writers?’ I say, they don’t really need advice, they know they want to be writers, and they’re gonna do it. Those people who know that they really want to do this and are cut out for it, they know it.
– R.L. Stine
- Follow your passion. Stay true to yourself. Never follow someone else’s path unless you’re in the woods and you’re lost and you see a path. By all means, you should follow that.
– Ellen DeGeneres
- I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.
– Ray Bradbury
- Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
– Oscar Wilde
- You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…
– Dr. Seuss
- All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
– J. R. R. Tolkien
- Anyone who stops learning is old, whether twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing you can do is keep your mind young.
– Mark Twain
So blog on! Hopefully one or more of these quotes got you thinking and if you know of any more quotes that really help you focus post them in the comments! I would love to hear them.